Monday, July 28, 2008

The Low Down

When my friends chose our dinner spot for Saturday I was hopeful but hesitant.  With our food industry (and economy) at new lows I was skeptical of what would open in this climate.  It's refreshing my fears were foolish - entrepreneurs are still at work.  Edisto Restaurant urges us to eat a little low country in honor of these trying times.  How fitting.  I'm forgetting gas prices just thinking about the rich shrimp and grits (bits of ham and turnips stirred through out).

The crab cakes were thumbs up by some, down by others.  Regardless, they were loaded with lump crab meat.  Our service was fantastic and the chef/owner, David Conn, visited our table when the catfish custard wouldn't "set."  He brought a small sampling that did - spicy and rich - probably too much for a whole dinner entree.  Yancy's short ribs were succulent and served with those yummy grits.  Portions are on target.  The highest point (other than the shrimp and grits) was the homemade green goddess dressing.  Wow, I want them to bottle this - beats Annie's in a bottle (which I rave as one of the few lines of bottled dressings worthy of purchase).

Seating outside is adequate (view is not) but, per my friend's recollection, the inside got a nice face lift versus the previous digs.  I will go back to Edisto....and dish more detail.  Until then, try some low country cookin' yourself...

KEEP EATING OUT, NASHVILLE!

Featured site:
Edisto Restaurant 
www.edistorestaurant.com
1711 Division Street
712-9218


1 comment:

Brooke Lovelace said...

Sadly, Edisto went out of business :)