Saturday, February 2, 2008

Fleeing to 4th Avenue, Franklin

Nashville old timers complain that this town just aint what it used to be. I'm sure 10 years ago the traffic didn't jam and the snow fell a little softer. Frankly, if we could take off 10 years of wrinkles we likely would. However, with red brake lights and global warming also comes...more restaurants. We just want to eat and drink our blues away. While I had to leave the sauce behind (15-29 did me in) I still have to eat! What better place to do it than the place "old timers" keep telling me is only getting better: Historic Franklin.

I'm lucky enough to have started working 'off the square' of Franklin and all it's fantastic eats. Since I'm usually only there two meals a day - breakfast and lunch - I'll focus on those today. However, I can't wait to stay late and catch dinner at Red Pony, Sol or Flying Horse.

Here are a few favorites thus far. All of them have that authentic "old grocery store," friendly-neighbor, "old-time cafe" feel. Menus on chalk boards....Cracker Barrel eat your heart out.

  • Mercantile Deli - some of the best tomato basil soup. Perfect cream to tomato ratio with sweetness and basil balance. Dig into their walnut chicken salad, chili, umlimited salad bar or wraps. Good value and friendly hipsters live here, too (Emma's chic smile and down-home demeanor will bring you back daily!)

  • Merridees - best breads and coffee in Franklin. I like either the viking (multi grain) or raisin-cinnamon. The frozen fruit side is divine - yogurt, nuts and fruit blended and frozen in a cupcake cup. Mmmmm even when it's chilly out.

  • Pucketts - wow, meat-n-three meets big-ole-burgers (I can't wait to go back and try one). I had some fantastic tomato soup, collards, cole slaw, great little potato pankake thing? Remember, I'm not from these parts so I'm just warmin' up on what to order. Plus, I need to hit this joint when the musicians are pickin' on stage!
  • Xoconochco - my diversion to Main Street hosts the best hot chocolate ever sipped. It's pricy (but so is Starbucks and we frequent more than we admit). Try one of their flavored whipped creams and indulge while perched at the new, posh bar.

Nashville, I apologize for the gap in good-eatin'-coverage. Unfortunately, I haven't been out saving the Earth (or even eating my way through it!) The good news is I'm back in the eating out saddle! More reviews coming soon so until then...

KEEP EATING OUT, NASHVILLE!

Featured Sites:

Mercantile Deli http://www.franklinmercantile.com/

100 4th Ave. North 790-9730 (I'm stopping with my ATL area code obsession...)

Merridess http://www.merridees.com/

110 4th Ave. South 790-3755

Pucketts http://www.puckettsgrocery.com/

120 4th Ave. South 794-5527

Xoconochco http://www.xoconochco.com/

434 Main St. 599-0236

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great review! Indeed, this historic town has changed over the past 10 years. Wonderful restaurants and shops are on the rise, and so is the traffic. Parking on Main Street can be a challenge, but that's why there are now two convenient garages with free spaces less than a block from the square.

I too, am fortunate enough to be able to work 'just off the square'. A short walk yields a variety of down home eats.

Unlike Main Street, the only thing getting wider is my waistline. Maybe it has something to do with starting my mornings at Merridees with one of their famous omelettes (They will even throw in a freshly-baked pastry of your choice!)

The hot chocolate at Xoconochco (pronounced ”Sho-con-osh-co”) isn’t helping either, but it’s a great pick-me-up in the afternoon ...gotta keep it down to just one a day. By the way, your friends will be impressed that you’ve mastered the pronunciation). Oh, and the burgers at Pucketts are awesome!

Keep the reviews coming!