Thursday, February 28, 2008

A Twist of Lime

When you have family visiting from Atlanta it's a little tough to pick restaurants. Nashville's known for good BBQ, meat-n-threes, pancakes and burgers. However, when it comes to upscale fare, we are lackin', let's face it. I heard "rave reviews" about Chris Hyndman's, Lime, a Latin American "fusion" number. So I plunged in with visitors in tow.

Lime gave me reason to believe our restaurant scene's picking up. Some friends have complained of spotty service and confused hosts, but we found that part refreshing. We waited a few minutes for our table and, when seated, were promptly greeted and drink orders taken. Our table shot down many of the signature cocktails...to sweet and syrupy were the verdicts.

We tried the LIME sampler and found most of those flat. I loved the green salsa and the fresh guacamole. My main course was a delicious fried snapper with a fantastic fruit remoulade and cucumber slaw. They vertically garnished with a slice of melon - wow, go Lime! We also enjoyed the adobo tuna and watermelon - tingling with clean flavors and a light orange reduction sauce finished it off. I was less than impressed with the dorado Baja (mahi mahi). It stated it was rubbed with spices but I found it bland. I liked the Pork Cazuela - a Spanish version of cassoulet. Our resident paella expert felt the spice and kick of their paella fell short...we hear they are still tweaking.

Overall, the experience was satisfactory. The prompt service, knowledgeable staff and hip digs make this joint a sure-fire repeat. Can't wait for their finished deck that will certainly turn Lime into a Nashville hot spot.

Keep eating out, Nashville!

Featured sites:
Lime 340-0766
1904 Broadway

2 comments:

Heather C. Watson said...

I think that Bob and I were the only people in Nashville who didn't care for Lime. Service was spotty, and the entrees were forgettable.

I can certainly see going there for cocktails and small plates, though.

lg2006 said...

Actually, we didnt care for it either. We have been twice and both times I felt it was pretentious and over priced. A great idea and beautiful restaurant, but the food and drinks were both so disappointing. Varago is much better