Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A Family Affair

When your family comes in town you sort of stress out about eating. You want to take them somewhere "new" but sometimes that also means "not tested." This weekend we took our fam to one "tried-and-true" joint and a "newbie" that proved hot.

I adored my lunch at Radius 10 in the Gultch a few weeks back so naturally I was ready for a night-time trip. They did not disappoint. Our server (shame on me for being so bad with names) was fantastic. He didn't wince when we changed drink orders and split entrees - bravo! Do have your whole party show up on time since they won't seat you until you're all present. Onto the food: I liked my pork duo with corn bread hash. The pork (along with the whole menu) changes weekly or so. We had a BBQ short rib my boyfriend, Yancy, raved about. I liked their mixed green salad for the mustardy vinaigrette dressing. I shared a delightful bite of escargot (in puff pastry with their traditional pesto). Everyone who tried chef Jason Brumm's shrimp/scallop grits were happy. I want to go back and try the short ribs with black truffle grits and sweet onion compote. Sadly, these ribs are Kobe rather than Midwestern which confuses me since Brumm has a commitment to local (or at least American?) food. I don't fault him for flying in some grub, though...

We popped into the much buzzed 'bout new Agave tequila bar with in a stone's throw. The indoor-outdoor flow of this place is a welcomed change. I slurped down a classic margarita but can't talk about the food or the tequila selection since I didn't sample. Right now, I'm recommending this place if you need to "change it up" in the Gultch or you want an after-Radius 10-cocktail. Enough said.

Fortunately, we grilled out on a fabulously sunny Saturday and took in lots of football so we were ready for a Sunday brunch outing. While I enjoy Margot's (owner/chef of the same name along with partner Jay Frein), the new concept is even more fun. Enter Marche, a much buzzed 'bout East Nashville eatery and market. The vibe is super friendly set by the awesome service (thank you, Taylor). The coffee is superb (I tried a yummy, rich mocha) and the cucumber-sake Bloody Marys and Bellini's were getting sucked down quickly. While I didn't get out with a pastry or treat, the desserts and croissants looked/smelled fantastic. I had the sunny-side up eggs with grain bread and tomato mushroom ragout. It was a stand out although a little too tomato-y. Yancy noshed on their quiche of squash and brie. The crust was flaky and delicious. The best dish I tasted at Marche was the crepes with corned beef, potatoes, onions and three cheese sauce. It sounds rich but I found it to be on the money - a true twist to the beef and hash tradition. Also, note, they have mussels, smoked salmon and salads during the brunch hours for those who would rather lunch. Last but not least, they change up their menu constantly to feature fresh/local produce, meats and cheeses.

Onto another week of eating. I may not give y'all another report this week since we are hitting three nights of music and throwing Yanc a birthday party. If I don't get back to ya, please, forgive. Remember, cheeseburger tour is coming. Until then...

KEEP EATING OUT, NASHVILLE!

Featured sites:
Radius 10: 1103 McGavock, http://www.radius10.com/

Agave: 118 12th Avenue South, no website yet but check out what The Tennessean had to say: http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071019/ENTERTAINMENT02/710190306/1061

Marche: 1000 Main Street, http://www.marcheartisanfoods.com/

No comments: