Saturday, March 15, 2008

Waterfront Dining?

I chuckle when friends say, "Let's go, they have outdoor seating." Most outdoor views are limited to concrete, roads or parking lots. Nashville has some outdoor seating that meets this cold reality. However, some joints face the Parthenon, our skyline, bright lights on Broadway and old rail lines. Another "restaurant with a view" sits on top a Cumberland River cove. An old rock quarry is home to Rock Harbor Marina and a floating restaurant, Blue Moon Lagoon.

My friend, Beth, and I walk planks at dusk as a storm rolls in, creating an ominous backdrop to an otherwise friendly atmosphere inside. Our server gave us the Blue Moon Lagoon history lesson: it's been around for 15 years under various management and names and is closed in the winter. It re-opened last Friday to a snow storm so its first full weekend started March 14. Later I learned its latest management re-opened the digs last spring which explains a somewhat disjointed menu.

Here's the skinny on grub - their oysters are flown in from Apalachicola (this Gulf Coast girl grins) and their fish right now is mostly Atlantic. I had the snapper with orange beurre blanc - yum. Get the sauce on the side or it may over take the fish. The side of corn griddle cakes with jalapenos were delicious. Beth noshed on the seared tuna which was unfortunately over-done (although the server noticed but stopped short of offering a do-over). Blue Moon Lagoon has a large selection of po-boys: shrimp, grouper and mahi-mahi. According to other articles and friends, their burgers are thick. Other recommendations from the staff are the fried pickles and the sampler platter (fried, fried and fried!) I don't recommend the smoked fish dip (I am misguided in my hopes for mullet.) Although the pesto drizzle over the dish was a refreshing touch.

The views: murky water, exposed rocks and an old marina, made me feel at home - minus the rocks. I wasn't smelling salt air or staring 12 miles out to no where, but I was on the water. There is an open feeling. Subtly, I noticed "Riders on the Storm" was playing - I like the personality here. I think I'll be back for more...but until then...

KEEP EATING OUT, NASHVILLE!

Featured site:
Blue Moon Lagoon Restaurant
525 Basswood Dr
354-1318
http://www.bluemoonlagoontn.com/1788700.html

No comments: